Well….are you ready for this? Its a pretty long list. I’ve got a little story of my own to share about Maca and how its helped me drastically. So I’m going to lead with that and follow with the facts.
For the last year I’ve had the most painful and intense period pains I have ever felt. I mean I never had them, ever! So this was intense for me, they were so bad, you could basically guarantee that I was out of action for the entire first day of my period. Like horrible, I would be crying and blubbering, all day because it felt like a was being stabbed with a screw driver then having it waved around…anyways horrible pains. I knew that Maca was a well known super-food to help with womens menstrual issues, such as body pains, aches, hot flashes, anxiety, mood swings and depression and all of those things had been hitting me pretty hard over the last year. So I thought I would put this good old super food to the test. So I have been taking it for about 2 months now and period pains are gone, I mean I’m definitely aware that somethings going on in there, but I’m not a complete write off for the entire day anymore. The lower back aches are very, very mild now and I was actually able to go for a run on the first day of my period, where as before I could barely move from my bed. I don’t know what it did but it worked. So horray for Maca! Lets get to the rest of the amazing health and beauty benefits for this delicious super-food.
- Maca has an abundance of vital vitamin such as B vitamins, C, and E. It provides plenty of calcium, zinc, iron, magnesium, phosphorous and amino acids.
- Maca is known to boost libido and increase sexual endurance. Its also used to balance hormones and increase fertility.
- Increases stamina, and mental energy – amazing for athletes.
- Maca is high in Iron and helps to restore red blood cells, which helps to avoid anemia and cardiovascular disease.
- Helps keep bones and teeth healthy and strong, also aiding in quicker recovery for wounds.
- Maca aides in skin healing so acne, blemishes or nasty burns can clear up nicely, just by adding some Maca to your smoothie.
- Reduces Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Regulates hormone balance – Maca contains a variety of amino acids, which are the building blocks of our hormones. Modern research has shown that consuming Maca regularly can balance hormones within both men and women. Maca doesn’t contain hormones, but the building blocks from which the body can create them. As hormones affect various aspects of our overall health, having a healthy and balanced endocrine system can lead to numerous health benefits.
- Relieves the symptoms of Menopause
- Increases mental clarity and focus, while enhancing memory and learning (great for studying)
- Improves circulation and encourages hair growth
- Strengthens teeth and bones – which in turn helps with osteoporosis
- Increases muscle gain – Black Maca has a high protein content, there for is used as a non dairy protein powder that tastes delicious!
- Stimulates thyroid function, due to its hormone balancing properties
- Maca contains Iodine, which is very helpful mineral for anyone who is vegan or vegetarian.
I personally use it in a smoothie or sprinkled over my fruit in the morning, its has a beautiful earthy taste. Don’t use too much though as it can have a strong after-taste.
Recently I have made these delicious super-food Maca Fudge Bites they are delicious and creamy. They are based on Cashew butter, but I will share the recipe for that one a little later on. Although if you live in Powell River, I do have these at the markets, so come grab some.
For now just get some Maca into your life.
You won’t regret it.